Friday, December 20, 2013

Tea For Two And A Piece Of Cake, by Preeti Shenoy

Rating – 4/5

One line for the book: A true page-turner

The story: The story is about Nisha who, when abandoned by her husband of eight years, battles the emotional and financial glitches in her unexpected situation while raising her two little kids.  

What I love about the book: The flow, the way the bond between a mother and her kids has been portrayed.

What I did not like about the book:  Could do away with describing Nisha’s sex life.

What I learned from the book: After having kids, the life of a man/woman changes drastically, without even they realizing it. Unless the parents make an effort to spend more time with each other, unless they escape to their own world leaving everything and everyone away for a few minutes each day, the relationship between them is going to suffer.

The book made me wonder if I am doing justice to my partner. The first year of marriage was full of sweet memories. Gone are the days when we talked endlessly without having to look at the clock. Thanks to the book, I have learned to spend at least a few minutes with my beloved hubby every day. This small effort has paid off now. I feel closer to him than I did in the past three years.

2 comments:

  1. My question is just out of curiosity. You mentioned that you didn't like that Nisha's sex life was described. I haven't read the book so I don't know if it was repulsive (as in described shabbily) or just our inherent cultural conflict to be comfortable to talk about something that is...well done anyways behind closed doors. something to think about maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Shobha: It was not repulsive. And it was limited to just a couple of paragraphs. But it was not needed either. Anyways, that's just my opinion.

      Delete